Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Eyes

Eyes in art and architecture connect across time. The eyes in this photo were carved into marble in Greece more than 2,500 years ago. The sculptor shaped the stone into a lively expression of human emotion that can be recognized immediately. Is it only a projection that we see a reflection of our own consciousness in sculptures and drawings of eyes? Maybe there is something about the design of lids, irises, pupils, lashes and brows that indicates the mind behind the creation of eyes. Maybe it's not the eyes that we connect with, but the formless awareness hovering just beyond the eyes. This formless awareness has been looking out through my eyes for as long as I can remember. It's observed the changes in my mind, body, actions and surroundings throughout my life, but the watching silent awareness hasn't changed. Perhaps you experience this. Perhaps, when we meet and connect, it is this silent place in me that recognizes this silent place in you, and vise versa. Maybe, when I came across this Greek sculpture, the silent place in me recognized the silent place within the sculptor who crafted these stone eyes more than 2,500 years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment