Sunday, March 14, 2010

Trusting Spontaneous Gestures

I've Learned to Trust the Spontaneous Gesture.

For decades, I studied and experimented,
striving to get the work right.
All that work is paying off.
Beginning a design or writing project now
is not the same as it was in my twenties.

Every form my mind imagines,
every line my hand draws
has years of trial and error in it.
Is this wisdom? I don't know.
Is it repeating old patterns?
It doesn't feel that way.

All that experience actually frees me.
I've lost any desire to copy.
I live to experiment,
push the edge,
not give a damn what others think,
let the mysteries of life work through me.

This is what I've learned, friend,
the more I trust the spontaneous gesture,
the greater the miracle life becomes.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, honest poem. I love your insight into the "spontaneous gesture."

    ReplyDelete